Sunday, October 4, 2009

Keeping Whole

This is a difficult post for me to write because it happened so recently.

But here it is.

I quit my job.

There were several factors that made me decide to leave. But one of the strongest is that I was finally understanding my boss. And I didn’t like what I was seeing. I don’t wish to be disrespectful, nor slander him. But simply put, I did not see a man of integrity.

In response to leaving, I have had my own reality check. For years mentors have stressed to me the importance of a strong foundation of character before any pursuit of success. And now I know why. People may follow you for your successes, but they will remember you for your character. Were you who you said you were? Did you do what you said you would do?

What I'm saying is this: Do not take your integrity for granted. And do not take your boss's integrity for granted. Prior to this experience, I had only worked with people that had strong character. Looking back, I had assumed that I would never have a job experience under dishonesty. Now I know the right questions to ask. Now I know what to look out for.

My thoughts go to one of my favorite speakers, Erwin McManus. He said,
It’s wonderful when you look inside your own heart and like what you see.
As I walk away from this job, I still like what I see inside myself. And that is worth more to me than security, plans or budgets.

-LASTLY, its my birthday on Wednesday! Time to relax and have a fun week.

4 comments:

  1. I'm proud of you Chris! I had to quit one of my jobs too for a similar reason so i sympathize. how is gainesville?

    mary susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks MS.

    Gainesville is good. I got here friday night, and will be in the atlanta area for a few months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds amazing. Chris, I <3 you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant I absolutely loved what you put.Very well said.

    ReplyDelete